Oatmeal is one of those staples that is wonderful to keep in the pantry.
It’s relatively inexpensive and has a long shelf life.
We have quite a bit on hand but my kids just don’t gobble it up like they used to.
After a while we grow tired of eating a lot of the same thing and kids are no exception.
So last weekend I got a little creative with the oatmeal and made a baked rendition – with the addition of some fresh strawberries that needed used up before they went bad.
The oats I used weren’t gluten free so I wasn’t able to give a taste-test myself but I got the husband and kid stamp of approval…which maybe means more than my own anyway. LOL
This recipe can very easily be made gluten (just buy the right variety of oats) and dairy (sub your fav alternative for milk) free.
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick cooking oats) ensure gluten free if needed
- 1.5 cups fresh fruit slice or half if needed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 cup milk sub for dairy free if needed
- Combine ingredients, carefully folding in the fresh fruit last
- Pour into a greased 8×8 baking dish
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until cooked through and top begins to brown
- Serve hot