For some reason, we had a lot of leftover cabbage and carrots from our annual Corned Beef and Cabbage St Patty’s Day dinner.
The cabbage is usually gone in a flash and we always wish we’d had more.
I don’t know what the turn of events was for this year but I was determined not to let these leftovers go to waste, despite all the corned beef being gone.
I also had a package of bulk bratwurst sausage in the freezer from a friend that I wasn’t sure how to utilize – so it’s been sitting in there for some time, just waiting to fulfill its sausage deliciousness destiny.
Last night I put my thinking cap on and got a little creative.
The result: this skillet that turned out super yummy and might just get in the line-up as an annual post-Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner leftovers/not leftovers meal.
I revamped those leftovers into something brand new and it didn’t feel like eating leftovers at all!
Minimal dishes (this is a 1-pot scenario), super quick to throw together and not allowing a thing to go to waste…which is pretty customary for me anyway, but especially now!
Bratwurst Sausage & Cabbage Skillet
- 1 lb Bulk bratwurst sausage or links with casings removed
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Leftover cabbage and carrots from Corned Beef Dinner roughly chopped
- 1 large pinch fennel seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin browning sausage, breaking in to med-large chunks
- Quickly slice onion and chop garlic, add to pan
- Once sausage is cooked through, add cabbage and carrots
- Heat through, adding a pinch of fennel seed
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot!