Can I turn you on to one of the most ridiculously simple, quick and yummy dishes that have come through my kitchen recently?
I got the idea from a good friend who made this casserole-style for my family when I was serving my 15 week bed rest sentence. God. Bless. Her.
Then, in true Celiac fashion, I switched it up to make it safe for me to eat.
These knock-off KFC bowls can be as easy or complicated as you wish to make them.
In a perfect world, the last time I made them, I would have tackled it all from scratch. In my real world I relied on lots of tried and true “instant” (instant potatoes have come a LONNNGGG ways from our school cafeteria days, peeps) options from the grocery store and had this baby on the table in less than 30 minutes…probably closer to 20!
WITH a side salad.
If I’m honest: there’s a good chance I’ll keep with the “instant” version. It was just so simple and everyone gobbled it up without complaint.
Oh, and there’s a kid version using traditional frozen chicken nuggets instead of the gluten free chicken strips…because buying pre-made gluten free means the grocery budget taking a serious hit…and the kids (body and mind) really don’t care.
I strongly encourage having these ingredients on hand and at the ready…because we all have “those” kinds of nights…and also get it in your regular rotation…because, why not?
Knock Off KFC Bowls (Gluten Free/Instant Version)
- Air Fryer
- 1 package Idahoan Buttery Homestyle Instant Potatoes
- 1 can corn
- 1 package Tyson Naturals Gluten Free Breaded Chicken Breast Strips
- 1 package McCormicks Gluten Free Brown Gravy Mix
- Fire up the air fryer (or oven, if you don't have an air fryer) with the chicken strips. However many you make is up to you – the size of the strips tend to vary and who am I to boss you about how much chicken you want on your plate?
- Mix up the instant mashed potatoes according to package directions. I use the microwave and it works beautifully.
- Warm corn (I tuck it in the microwave with the water for the potatoes, in a dishwasher safe bowl for ease of cleanup)
- Mix the gravy according to package directions.
- When everything is warmed and cooked through, begin layering. Start with potatoes, top with corn, smother with gravy and top with chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve warm!