I remember the day I slid myself into the high seated chair at the bar facing my mother’s kitchen.
I asked her for her chili recipe.
My mom derives no pleasure from cooking. It’s not a secret. Those are her words, and I quote.
She turned from me, opened the cupboard door, scrounged around for a quick moment…and then flopped a package of McCormick’s chili seasoning on the counter.
“There”, she said, “instructions are on the back”.
And we both laughed.
I’ve never been “big” on chili but a bowl from time to time through the winter months is some of the best comfort food. And so, for years, I used my mom’s “recipe” for chili…until…
A visit to a dear friend turned my like for chili into love and now I make this BIG batch a couple of times a year.
A word of caution: don’t be deterred by the size of this big batch recipe. Make the whole darn thing!!!! It’s a perfect dish to portion and freeze AND we make all kinds of meals (aside from a simple bowl of chili, which I’m also very on board with) from this freezer staple.
- 5 lb hamburger
- 2-3 onions chopped
- 8 beef boullion cubes or 8 tsp of powder
- 1/8 cup dried onion
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 lb mild frozen chopped green chiles thawed
- 3 tbsp chili powder heaping tbsp
- 3 tbsp cumin heaping tbsp
- 2 cans Ranch Style beans do not drain
- 6 cans beans of your choice ex: pinto, kidney, cannellini, etc. drained and rinsed
- Brown hamburger with chopped onion, then drain
- Add water plus beef boullion, onion flakes, onion powder, pepper and garlic powder to pot and simmer til dissolved/combined (Note: you can use 2 envelopes of Lipton Onion Soup in place of these seasonings if gluten isn't an issue in your diet)
- Add chicken stock, chili and cumin seasonings. Stir to combine
- Return beef/onion mixture to pot, add thawed green chiles and bring to a simmer about 30 minutes
- Add beans shortly before serving and warm through.
- Adjust seasonings to taste – add salt and pepper if needed.
Links on this page may be affiliate in nature. Please see full disclosure about affiliate linking on the ‘disclosure’ page.