Ever on the look for new and fun recipes, this one popped up for me on Pinterest a few weeks ago, compliments of Unbound Wellness.
When I set to work making them, the measurements changed quite a bit but the recipe credit most definitely goes to Michelle whose blog hosts all kinds of yummy nutritional meals (Paleo, Whole30, etc.). Check her out!
I love how I was able to ‘hide’ nutrient rich sweet potatoes inside this awesome little meatball, and served on a bed of homemade guac I felt super good about getting my family a variety of nutritious flavors and textures in just one dish!
Added bonus? These babies can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge – or even the freezer – until time to cook.
I can definitely see these being the hit of an appetizer or finger-foods line-up OR the star main course for a dinner party.
So many amazing opportunities…and they’re simple, too!
Mexican Turkey & Sweet Potato Poppers
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup sweet potato shredded in food processor
- ⅓ cup red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 heaping tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 heaping tsp cumin
- 1 heaping tsp chili powder
- 1 heaping tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- juice of ½ lime
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Portion mixture into ping-pong size balls, roll, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake in 400° oven for 25 minutes, flipping them after 15 minutes
- Serve on a bed of homemade guacamole