It would be a bold face lie for me to tell you that adjusting to a Celiac diet has been a walk in the park.
I’ve managed and for the most part it hasn’t been terrible. I was a pretty healthy eater prior and have always done a lot in the way of cooking at home.
BUT, replacements for things just aren’t the same (even if they come close) and sometimes a girl just wants a quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a dr pepper from McDonalds.
And when you just can’t have it: it sucks.
I think the whole “you can’t” adds fuel to the fire of that psychological game.
Be that as it may, I forego giving into the cravings because dealing with the fallout just isn’t worth it (although, I will argue with myself for hours sometimes that maybe it won’t be so bad).
The longer I live gluten free, the more sensitive my system becomes and the fallout can happen much more quickly and be all the more disastrous.
So I just don’t.
One of the things I really thought I’d miss are these shrimp tacos:
They were such an easy go-to for a quick dinner and ridiculously delicious.
I determined that the un-breaded variety just wouldn’t be as good. And because I was so determined, it took me a while to give it a shot.
It isn’t the same – because nothing ever is – BUT this other option is also exceptionally delicious and just as simple as the original so it’s won a place in my simplified meal planning line-up…and now that it’s summer I foresee shrimps on the barbie…
…and fresh tomatoes from the garden…
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and de-veined
- taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cole slaw mix
- cilantro and lime dressing (I keep a bottle of store bought in the fridge, but you could whip up some of your own, too)
- 1 avocado diced or smashed and sprinkled with salt
- 1 tomato diced (optional)
- toss thawed shrimp with olive oil and taco seasoning (season to your preference)
- toss coleslaw mix with dressing (you want just enough dressing to coat the cabbage)
- heat frying pan or grill and cook until shrimp are pink and have curled
- while shrimp are cooking, warm tortillas and cut up (or smash) avocado and tomato
- assemble tacos and serve warm