In the mood for lasagna but don’t have the time (or desire) for all the meticulous layering and waiting?
I’ve got you covered with this skillet version that requires ONE pan and under an hour of your time (less if you prep ahead – see notes).
The mostly hands-off cook time allows you opportunity to toss together a salad, or butter up some garlic bread…or both!…all while sipping a glass of your favorite wine.
(Added bonus? This dish per instructions below is Gluten Free!)
- large skillet with lid
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 jar tomato based pasta sauce
- 1 cup water plus 1/2 cup more on stand-by
- 5-7 uncooked gluten free pasta sheets
- 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1-2 cups Italian cheese mix shredded
- Brown hamburger and sausage with onion, drain and return to pan
- Pour in pasta sauce and 1 cup of water, stir to combine
- Break pasta into smaller pieces and add to pan pressing down into the liquid, drop heat to medium
- Cover and set timer for 30 minutes, remove lid and stir occasionally adding stand-by liquid in 1/4 cup increments as needed
- While cooking, combine cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes
- At the end of 30 min, remove lid and spread cottage cheese mixture over the top and sprinkle with Italian cheese mix (1-2 cups per your preference)
- Return lid, drop the heat to med-low and cook an additional 10 min
- Serve with side salad and/or garlic bread
1. brown hamburger and sausage with onion, drain and return to pan 2. add 1 cup water and pasta sauce 3. cover with lid and place skillet in the fridge until time to pull the meal together (then start by giving it a quick warm through, add noodles and you’re off to the races…) 4. combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg and parsley flakes. Store in fridge in air-tight container. **prepping ahead will shave about 10 minutes (and save a little clean up the night of) off the start-finish time.