Soup is a staple in our house through the cold winter months. This is one of my favorites and we make sure to get it in the line-up at least once in the season despite the fact that it doesn’t score high on the “healthy soup” scale.
An indulgence, for sure, but a one you most definitely have to give a go!
Hamburger Au Gratin Soup
- 1.5 Lb hamburger
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup carrots grated
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup rice flour (regular flour if GF isn't an issue)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2-3/4 large brick Velveeta cheese (you can't really muff this up – it's cheese – measure with your heart)
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/8 cup dried parsley flakes
- 8 oz sour cream
- Brown and drain hamburger, set aside
- While hamburger browns: grate, chop, dice and mince veggies
- Melt butter in pot, add veggies and cook until soft
- Add flour, mix well, then whisk in chicken stock. Allow to come to a simmer & thicken
- Add milk, return hamburger to pot and bring back to simmer
- Add Velveeta cheese, stir well allowing all cheese to melt.
- Measure all spices into the pot, mix in well
- Add sour cream, return to simmer, stirring to ensure all ingredients are combined and sour cream has melted into the soup.
- Soup should be thick and creamy. Serve hot with crusty (GF!) bread!
Here’s another of my favorite soup recipes that is sure not to disappoint:
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Make quick work of veggie chopping (and clean-up!) with this kitchen tool I never knew I wanted until I got one…and now I can’t live without!
Links on this page may be affiliate in nature. Please see full disclosure about affiliate linking on the ‘disclosure’ page.